Counseling Intern Information
- Attendance at an all day training on Friday July 20, 2018 is mandatory – no exceptions will be made.
- Interns start working with clients the week of July 23, 2018.
- Last day is June 10, 2019.
- Some interns start early by helping with the Saturday support group for the summer.
- Prior to the start date of your internship you will be required to read two books from a list I will provide.
- You will attend mandatory meetings/supervision on Monday between 10am – 3pm for 1:1 supervision (3/4 hour); and group supervision (1 hour); as well as some training sessions.
- You will co-lead the Saturday morning support group.
- For those needing 1000 hours, this requirement can be met during this internship.
- Non-client hours can be completed at home.
- Monday through Thursday in the morning, or Friday, Saturday, and Sunday anytime.
- You are required to record sessions with clients – requires your own tape recorder or digital recorder.
- At the Awakening Center: 5-8 individuals generally college age thru adult, mostly women – diverse ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation dealing with eating disorders, trauma, anxiety, depression, relationship issues and life transitions.
- You will lead/co-lead the Saturday morning support group.
- Some interns will co-lead a therapy group with a TAC staff member.
- Interns do not see families nor do they do family therapy.
- You will be trained in and use a variety of therapy treatment models such as: Internal Family Systems (IFS), Psychodynamic, DBT, Eastern philosophies, and mindfulness.
- You will also be required to lead various workshops (depression, body image, help for family members, etc.).
- You are also expected to attend and work a variety of events as a part of TAC including but not limited to: wellness fairs, and the NEDA walk.
When you come for your interview, please come a few minutes early so we may start on time. There is a directory to the left of the front door, please find "Grabowski, Amy" in the directory, and Amy will buzz you in. Please have a seat in the waiting room, and Amy will come get you at your appointment time.
The Awakening Center; 3523 N Lincoln Ave, Chicago, IL 60657; (p) 773-929-6262; (email) firstname.lastname@example.org