Counseling Intern Information
- Attendance at an all day training on a Friday in mid- to late-July is mandatory – no exceptions will be made.
- Interns start working with clients the last week of July.
- Last day is early- to mid-June.
- Some interns start early by helping with the Saturday support group for the summer.
- You will attend mandatory meetings/supervision on Monday between 10am – 3pm for one-on-one supervision (3/4 hour), group supervision (1 hour), and some additional training sessions.
- You will co-lead the Saturday morning support group.
- For those needing 1000 hours, this requirement can be met during this internship.
- Non-client hours can be completed at home.
- Monday through Thursday in the morning; Friday, Saturday, and Sunday any time.
- You are required to record sessions with clients using your own tape recorder or digital recorder.
- At the Awakening Center: 5-8 individuals generally college age thru adult, who are dealing with eating disorders, trauma, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, and life transitions. Clients tend to be mostly women but have a diverse ethnicity, religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
- You will lead/co-lead the Saturday morning support group.
- Some interns may be able to co-lead a therapy group with a TAC staff member.
- Interns do not see families nor facilitate family therapy.
- You will be trained in and use a variety of therapy treatment models such as: Internal Family Systems (IFS), Psychodynamic, DBT, person-centered, attachment, Eastern philosophies, and mindfulness.
- You will also be required to lead various workshops (depression, body image, help for family members, etc.).
- You are also expected to attend and work a variety of events as a part of TAC including but not limited to: wellness fairs and the NEDA walk.
When you come for your interview, please come a few minutes early so we may start on time. Dial 042 on the keypad and Nancy will buzz you in. Please have a seat in the waiting room and Nancy will be right with you.